We have a wonderful guest in this podcast episode, Janet Benvenuti. Janet is considered one of the country’s leading health and family advocates. She founded a great organization called Circle of Life Partners and she’s counseled hundreds of families and educated thousands of people on how to plan for longevity and support of aging relatives without disrupting their careers, damaging health, or depleting a family’s finances. She also advises leading clinicians, business executives, professional advisors, and entrepreneurs on how to best meet the needs of an aging population and their adult children. She’s here today to talk about normalizing conversations around aging, understanding the process, and providing and preparing for support throughout the process.
In This Episode:
- [01:51] Meet Janet Benvenuti and learn about how she came to do the work that she’s doing.
- [09:28] Janet’s perception of aging and how we can see it that’s both optimistic and realistic.
- [18:53] How we can raise aging to our parents with little to no resistance.
- [28:11] How wealth can impact or hinder family dynamics and access to care.
- [35:04] Janet’s advice to families and advisors on things to consider as they think about issues on aging parents and aging in general.
- As our parent’s age, we need to consider their challenges and us being able to help in doing the six instrumental activities of daily living.
- Understanding how to navigate the resources that exist and understanding how to make certain strategic decisions and get them out of the way is vital so most of the time you spend with your parents is enjoyable for you and them.
- If the adult children as a unit can agree or even agree to disagree and can lovingly approach the parents to make suggestions or offer to help then the parent is more likely to respond positively.
- Think about broadening what you do for your clients. Advisors who view their roles a bit broader will end up with loyal families as clients.
Meet Janet Benvenuti
Janet Benvenuti (Ben-ven-u-ti) is considered one of the country’s leading health and family advocates. As the founder of Circle of Life Partners, she has counseled hundreds of families and educated tens of thousands on how to plan for longevity and support aging relatives without disrupting careers, damaging health, or depleting the family’s finances. Separately, she advises leading clinicians, business executives, professional advisors, and entrepreneurs on how best to meet the needs of an aging population and their adult children.
Janet has authored numerous articles and books including “Don’t Give Up on Me!” Supporting Aging Parents Successfully and her latest, entitled “Longevity: The Future for Women, Entrepreneurship, and Eldercare.”
- Janet Benvenuti’s LinkedIn
- Don’t Give Up on Them!
- Longevity: The Future for Women, Entrepreneurship, and Eldercare