On this revisited episode of Beyond the Balance sheet, we are joined by Tom McCullough, Chairman and CEO of Northwood Family Office, a Toronto-based multi-family office serving the comprehensive needs of families of significant net worth. Tom discusses how he supports families during financial and emotional transitions and reveals how he builds trust with families to disclose sensitive information. Tune in as we chat about preparing for the unexpected when it comes to family planning, the inspiration behind Tom’s books, and the advice Tom would give a former version of himself.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [02:50] How Tom supports families during financial and emotional transitions.
- [06:20] Tom speaks about getting people to disclose sensitive information to him as an advisor.
- [11:55] Ways to prepare for the unexpected when it comes to family planning.
- [17:40] The inspiration behind Tom’s book, The Top 50 Questions Wealthy Families Ask
- [22:15] The advice that Tom would give a former version of himself.
- Advisors need to know what they are qualified and capable of dealing with. While on the other hand, they also need to know when it’s time for a professional referral.
- A family office should be objective; that way, it will bring clients into a zone of trust.
- Be easier on yourself and others.
- Practice more grace.
‘Wealth of Wisdom: The Top 50 Questions Wealthy Families Ask’ and ‘Family Wealth Management: 7 Imperatives for Successful Investing in the New World Order’
The Top 50 Questions Wealthy Families Ask
Tom McCullough is Chairman and CEO of Northwood Family Office, a Toronto-based multi-family office serving the comprehensive needs of families of significant net worth. He is also the co-author of ‘Wealth of Wisdom: The Top 50 Questions Wealthy Families Ask’ and ‘Family Wealth Management: 7 Imperatives for Successful Investing in the New World Order’.
Tom has spent over 30 years in the wealth management/ family office field, initially in senior executive roles with RBC wealth management. The combination of this background, along with his own family’s need for a truly comprehensive, customized and confidential service, led him to found one of Canada’s first multi-family offices, dedicated to families looking for objective advice and boutique-style service. Northwood has quickly become one of the leaders in its field and has been consistently recognized as the top independent family office in Canada by Euromoney in its global private banking survey.
Tom is a frequent speaker on wealth management and family issues. He is an Adjunct Professor of Finance at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management where he teaches ‘The Management of Private Wealth’ in the MBA program. He is also an Entrepreneur-in-Residence at Western University’s Ivey School of Business. Tom is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Wealth Management and holds a certificate in Family Business Advising from the Family Firm Institute.
WATCH ON YOUTUBE: