Julia Karol is the president and COO of the Watermill Group. She has a number of different philanthropic engagements and was named the Most Influential Women in Mid-Market M&A by Mergers and Acquisitions Magazine for three consecutive years. Julia is also the host of Stork’d, a podcast that explores and celebrates the many paths to building a family.
As a person who went through it herself, Julia shares her advice on how you can get through your own fertility journey. Family building is one of the biggest decisions you can make in life, and with the many modern ways to explore what this may look like for you, there are many unique options and opportunities. In this episode, Julia shares her fertility journey, the lessons she learned along the way, and her experience building her own family as a solo parent.
In This Episode:
- [02:03] Julia Karol expounds about why fertility is a sensitive subject.
- [04:10] Learn about Julia’s story as she shares what fertility and family building mean for her.
- [07:04] Exploring fertility options and what needs to be prepared: Julia choosing to become a solo parent through a sperm donor
- [09:00] The “why” behind the fertility decision.
- [16:10] How and why support from family and friends is needed.
- [15:52] Proclaiming what you want will help you.
- [22:33] Julia shares what excites her about becoming a mother.
- [29:24] Answering the question: How do you know that you’re ready?
- There is a wide range of fertility treatments you can choose from when you want to build a family as a solo parent.
- Have a support system around you to help you in your fertility journey. You are not in this alone.
- You can explore other alternatives if fertility treatments are out of your budget range.
- Reach out to someone you know going through their own fertility journey to make them feel supported.
- Making a decision to pursue a family-building journey is one of the biggest decisions you will make because the rest is out of your control.
- Celebrate milestones and your wins no matter how little you think they are.
Meet Julia Karol:
Julia Karol is President and COO of Watermill Group. She is the founder of WMX, Watermill’s initiative to accelerate change by investing in gender-diverse teams with a vision to build enduring businesses. She is responsible for overall firm operations and helping Watermill portfolio companies develop and implement their strategies. Previously, as a Watermill Principal, Julia helped guide the day-to-day operations of the firm, directed the firm’s investor relations, and managed fundraising initiatives for acquisitions. Julia currently serves as a Partner with Social Venture Partners Boston, a venture philanthropy organization that connects Boston’s most promising nonprofits with the money and minds to fuel their success. Julia has served as a Mentor for Endeavor, a global high-impact entrepreneurship movement and that promotes economic growth and job creation. She also serves as a member of the Budget and Administration Committee for Combined Jewish Philanthropies. Previously, Julia founded and served as board chair for the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network in Boston. Julia is a member of ACG Boston and the Young Presidents Organization (YPO) and has been named as one of the Most Influential Women in Mid-Market M&A by Mergers and Acquisitions Magazine for three consecutive years. In 2019, Julia received the Women of Influence Award from ACG Boston and was named one of Boston Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 honorees. In 2017, Julia was named an Emerging Leader by the M&A Advisor.
Although OPG has attempted to provide accurate information on its website and its podcasts, we assume no responsibility for the accuracy of the information and makes no other representations or warranties whatsoever with respect to the services, resources, content and materials of any third parties. Mention of non-OPG services is for informational purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. The content here should not be taken as any form medical or other professional advice. Please consult your professionals or providers for any specific questions or issues.