Joanna Gordon Martin has spent years as a respected entrepreneur, investor, and biotech industry executive. Joanna founded Theia Senior Solutions to meet the clients’ needs that she understands well: adult children facing the decline of a parent’s health and cognitive function while they are at the peak of their own career and family obligations. Joanna gives strategies to family members and advisors on how to have sensitive conversations about declining health. Joanna also discusses how caregiving conversations are changing during the global pandemic. Tune in as we talk about how a simple phone call can make a significant difference in someone’s life, and how professionals and loved ones can positively impact the lives of aging individuals.
In This Episode:
- [00:40] About Joanna Gordon Martin and her company Theia Senior Solutions.
- [04:55] Tips on having a conversation with your parents or a loved one about their declining health.
- [10:55] How caregiving conversations are shifting during Covid.
- [16:15] The ways Joanna will facilitate conversations with families.
- [22:40] How a simple phone call can make a significant difference.
- [28:15] Tips for supporting older adults.
- When it comes to having a conversation about declining health with your parents, make sure you know when it’s time to create a plan.
- Parenting a parent is challenging; make sure you are finding the right environment to have a conversation about your parent’s declining health.
- Poor judgment and decision-making can be a sign of Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- The loneliest time of day for someone is between two and five; make a basic phone call to check-in on your loved ones.
Meet Joanna Gordon Martin:
Joanna Gordon Martin has spent years as a respected entrepreneur, investor and biotech industry executive. She has held senior leadership positions at Celgene Corporation, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and has been called on by venture capital and private equity firms to run biotech firms in need of operational leadership. She founded Theia Senior Solutions to meet the needs of clients she understands well: adult children facing the decline of a parent’s health and cognitive function, while at the peak of their own career and family obligations.
For the past five years, Theia has enabled families to maintain busy lifestyles at times of great vulnerability – empowering them with an exceptional level of accountability, expertise, warmth and technological efficiency. Joanna is humbled by Theia’s growth and its award by the Family Wealth Report for Leading Concierge/Specialist Service Firm. Joanna is a graduate of Boston College and The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. She currently serves on the Board of The Alzheimer’s Association and is an active member of the Wharton School’s Venture Awards and Entrepreneurship Community, with a particular interest in supporting female entrepreneurs.
Facebook Personal Page: https://www.facebook.com/joanna.gordon
Facebook Business Page: https://www.facebook.com/TheiaSeniorSolutions
Twitter Business Account: https://twitter.com/theia_solutions
LinkedIn URL: https://www.linkedin.com/in/joanna-gordon-martin-402629/
LinkedIn Company Page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/theia-senior-solutions