Cynthia Haddad is the co-author of the book The Special Needs Planning Guide. When it was published, it was a one-of-a-kind book advising family members of a disabled person on how to do estate planning. In addition, she discusses government benefits, non-profit agencies, public education entitlement, and other helpful topics. Learn about a Letter of Intent and the elements to include. This book is in its second edition for a good reason. Don’t miss this informative episode of Beyond the Balance Sheet.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [01:41] Cynthia Haddad tells why she co-wrote the book The Special Needs Planning Guide
- [06:52] Cynthia suggests financial instruments that enable the disabled to inherit, and she stresses the need for an attorney
- [08:23] Cynthia speaks about her brother with disabilities and how that led her to research and write the book
- [11:15] What is the content of a letter of intent
- [16:27] Cynthia discusses rivalries that come about regarding inheritance not being equal for all siblings and how vital communication during the planning stages is necessary
- Planning and prior communication should occur when a will is drafted. When resources are not divided equally, it is helpful that all family members are aware beforehand.
- A Letter of Intent covers personal details about the disabled family member that no one else would know but the parent. Therefore, it is an essential document.
- The disabled can only benefit from governmental services if the proper financial plan exists.
Beyond the Balance Sheet Website
Cynthia Haddad is a Certified Financial Planner Professional and a Chartered Special Needs Consultant. She is a founding partner and wealth advisor at Affinia Financial Group in Burlington, MA. As a financial professional and advocate for her brother Ron, who has developmental disabilities, Cindy has dedicated her career to serving families like hers. She is a nationally sought-after speaker on planning for families of individuals with disabilities and co-author of the groundbreaking book, The Special Needs Planning Guide, now in its 2nd edition.
pursuing a Master’s in Social Work from Boston College, with a concentration in mental health and certification in neurobiology for social work.
WATCH ON YOUTUBE: