Jamie Mendelsohn of the Ashar Group joins us to discuss a little-known concept relating to your life insurance policy. Many people unable to continue to make payments toward their life insurance policy simply walk away from the policy. However, they need to realize there are buyers for that policy and that they can sell their existing policy. Jamie explains all the benefits of knowing the value of your life insurance policy and how easy it is to learn about this simple process. This episode of Beyond the Balance Sheet is an eye-opener. So, grab your pen and take some notes.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [01:35] Jamie explains how Ashar Group works with policy owners
- [03:01] There is a secondary market that will value life insurance policies that an individual wants to relinquish
- [5:00] Large institutions etc., purchase policies. Guaranteed universal life products are a very attractive purchase
- [06:44] Jamie discusses repurposing life insurance policies, and she gives statistics on the loss of capital because people are not aware of this concept
- [12:20] Valuing life insurance policies and how they fit into overall financial planning
- [15:47] Jamie tells about a family who monetized the mother’s life insurance policy to fund her care
- People have walked away from their life insurance policies because they couldn’t afford the premiums. However, the policy has value, and a market exists for these policies.
- Ashar Group does not write life insurance policies; however, they do place a value on them, and this process only takes about two days.
- A universal life policy is the most valuable and attractive to buyers of life insurance policies.
Beyond the Balance Sheet Website
Jamie L. Mendelsohn – EVP – Ashar Group
Life Settlement Probability Calculator
Trust & Estates Article: The Role of Life Settlements in Estate Planning
Tax Advisor Article: Spotlight on Life Settlements
NAEPC Journal: Maximizing Life Settlement Value Through a Policy Auction
Jamie Mendelsohn’s reputation as a dedicated client advocate precedes her. Her commitment to partnering with financial professionals, knowledge of every facet of the secondary market, and diligent effort to exceed expectations is unmatched. For those lucky enough to work with her, a more loyal partnership could not be found – unless you are referring to her clever ability to one-up her brothers in every team costume contest.
As Executive Vice President, Jamie is the go-to resource for helping advanced planners, and fiduciaries integrate life insurance policy valuations into their comprehensive planning process. In addition, she spends much time educating the financial services community at conferences, estate planning councils, and wealth management firms nationwide.
Jamie earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Florida, where she was an Alpha Delta Pi sorority member. She proudly serves as the President of the Central FL/North FL Chapter of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation, speaking at events and mentoring patients and families navigating the treatment of these diseases. She lives in Central Florida and enjoys spending time with family and friends, fishing, and traveling.
WATCH ON YOUTUBE: