High-powered people often make complex and dynamic lives look easy. The lifestyle we most often associate with top executives, celebrities, public figures, or the like tends to be heavily glamorized — from the outside, it appears to be a life of luxury, wealth, and comfort. However, these individuals are in fact highly susceptible to stress or burnout. Demanding or high-profile jobs in fields like medicine, law, finance, politics, entertainment, or academia come with immense pressure to continually perform at a level that is incredibly taxing on the mind and body. People in these positions frequently put in long hours and live under the pressure of being in the public eye. The line between life and work blurs quickly, making it impossible to take time to unwind or relax.
No matter how much a person is earning or what kind of life they seem to be leading, living at this pace is unhealthy. If you are overworked or too busy, your happiness and productivity may be suffering. You may begin to struggle with balancing your personal and professional obligations and may need assistance in developing a structured, sustainable schedule. You may even be turning to harmful habits such as substance abuse to cope with the negative feelings associated with burnout — anxiety, exhaustion, depression, self-doubt, or perceived failure. If you are in this situation and aren’t sure where to turn for help, we encourage you to consider executive coaching.
What is Executive Coaching?
Executive coaching helps individuals assess their long-term career and educational goals, increase their productivity, and optimize their time. Executive coaches can also help you redirect your life or your career if your current field is no longer the right fit or if you are at a transitional point such as rejoining the workforce after addiction recovery. They can evaluate your skills and goals and offer suggestions for work that may be more fulfilling or might better utilize your talents. Part of the purpose of an executive coach is to help you reset your long-term goals and establish concrete steps to achieve them. These goals may include lifestyle changes that you have previously considered too big to take on. Your executive coach can help you develop a plan to actualize those changes, as well as offer support and guidance as you begin the process of rebalancing your life.
An executive coach is an expert in organizing, scheduling, and prioritizing tasks and can help you learn and adopt best practices for working to your full potential without burning out. Your coach will work one-on-one with you to build with a customized plan that fits seamlessly alongside your career, personal life, goals, and strengths. Some items that may be discussed and implemented include:
- Set working hours vs. off hours
- Productivity tracking
- Task and time management tactics
- Career counseling
- Workplace boundaries
- Hard and soft skill development
Over the course of your services — which can last a few months or several years — your coach will guide you through each step in your plan at a pace that helps you take steady steps forward, while achieving a healthy work/life balance. Each client works with their coach for a personalized length of time: an initial period is recommended upon intake, and progress is evaluated on an ongoing basis to determine whether continued coaching is necessary.
The executive coaching services at O’Connor Professional Group may also be provided as part of a package of services to help you or your family with any number of concerns. OPG also provides sober coaching, wealth advising, ongoing monitoring services, and case management to address accompanying problems such as substance abuse, mental health disorders, financial strain, chronic relapse, or a lack of care coordination. If you are struggling with substance abuse or have recently completed a recovery treatment program, our executive coaching services can be an integral part of your transitional care plan as you readjust to independent life. Our services are available nationwide and are provided locally in your community via our extensive network of accredited professionals. During your consultation, we will help you determine which service or services are most appropriate for your needs.
Is Executive Coaching Right for Me?
Executive coaching by name may sound as though it is intended only for high-level businesspeople, but the service is available for people in many different situations. Executive coaching can be useful for professionals at all levels as well as for students. Anyone who is underperforming due to burnout or stress may benefit from working with an executive coach. Some signs that you or your loved one may be in need of professional help from an executive coach include:
- Decreased ability to focus on tasks
- Loss of interest in social life
- Forgetfulness or poor task management
- Physical symptoms including headaches or lethargy
- Lowered confidence in abilities
- Prioritizing career over important personal events
- Pessimistic outlook
Executive Coaching at OPG
OPG offers nationwide tailored executive coaching services in person or remotely (even internationally) to aid clients in achieving and maintaining successful careers. Our coaches will facilitate and help to re-establish productive educational and work habits. We can also help clients to reassess whether their educational or career paths are well matched to their skill sets, encourage clients to create long-term visions, and work intensively with clients to break down their vision into concrete, short-term steps. OPG executive coaches offer both emotional support and accountability to clients as they navigate their way towards more fulfilling vocational futures.
To find out if you are a candidate for our executive coaching services, reach out to us to schedule a consultation. Below you can find a list of the services we are able to provide; feel free to ask us about any of these, or to let our expert staff help you create an individualized plan.
- We will assign one executive coach who you will establish a working relationship with through regular in-person or remote meetings, as well as frequent phone contact.
- We will conduct a thorough review of current education and vocational plans and help fit this to your goals and needs.
- We will discuss past work and education history with you and any applicable parties, including employers, advisors, or support team members.
- We can work with you to find resources for vocational pursuits (e.g., employment, educational, or volunteer opportunities) and healthy lifestyle activities (e.g., yoga, academic, outdoor activities, artistic pursuits) in your area.
- We will create a personalized executive action plan with short and long-term goals, and tracking of progress.
- We help develop executive functioning skills (e.g., support of the initiation and management of tasks, developing the ability to self-monitor).
- We teach sustainable time and stress management techniques (e.g., creating balanced behavioral schedules, supervising difficult tasks, teaching stress management strategies, providing prompts for task completion).
- We assist with completing projects (e.g., family foundation administrative tasks), developing business plans, or filling out college/job applications.
- We help implement healthy practices both inside and outside of the client’s professional life with a focus on self-accountability and productivity.
- We can assess whether additional clinical resources (e.g., therapist) are clinically indicated and identify local providers if deemed appropriate.
- We organize and provide weekly updates to key stakeholders, family members, advisors, or employers.
- We offer crisis management and after-hours support.
Contact O’Connor Professional Group
If you or your loved one might need any of our services, please don’t hesitate to reach out and schedule a consultation. Our expert staff is available to answer your questions, to help you learn more about what we do, and to determine how we can help you or your loved one make the transition from burnout to balance. Our services are provided nationwide, from New York City to Los Angeles and everywhere in between. We are here to help you live a fulfilling life and learn the right ways for you to manage your time and priorities. When you maximize your skills and your time, you can lead a healthier, happier life. Call us today at 617-221-8764 to get started.