Today we are joined by Dr. James Greenblatt, an acknowledged integrative medicine expert, educator, and author who focuses on nutritional interventions in psychiatry and mental illness. Dr. Greenblatt dives into how the medical field needs to focus on the whole body of each individual patient. He discusses the importance of vitamins and minerals in the diet to help protect our brains from dementia and Alzheimer’s. Dr. Greenblatt says that the key to healthy aging combines lifestyle and functional medicine. Tune in to hear all the preventative measures you can do now to help with brain health!
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [1:22] What role does nutrition play in mental health?
- [5:10] Simple tests to determine a 40-50-year-old’s risk for dementia were not part of a doctor’s medical practice.
- [6:08] How is lithium linked to dementia, and are there any risks associated with using it?
- [10:22] What are some of the most commonly missed diagnoses in older adults?
- [12:20] What other non-nutritional things Dr. Greenblatt recommends for people to achieve maximum integrative health?
- [13:40] Genetic loading – what does that mean?
- [14:42] What is the first action Dr. Greenblatt would take for someone struggling with depression?
- [17:49] Recent case studies that Dr. Greenblatt has experienced.
- Don’t be passive. Get the information you need if you are experiencing memory loss or if you don’t know what’s going on. Be your own advocate and get tested.
- Genetics plays a big role, but often nutritional or biochemical, relationships, social, and brain-stimulating activities affect brain health.
- Connect the body and brain. The issues that arise aren’t an either-or but often a whole-body problem. Nutrition is the fuel our body needs to operate at an optimum level. Vitamins and minerals are cofactors.
Dr. Greenblatt has lectured internationally on the scientific evidence for nutritional interventions in psychiatry and mental illness. He is the author of seven books, including Finally Focused: The Breakthrough Natural Treatment Plan for ADHD. He is the founder of Psychiatry Redefined, an educational platform dedicated to the transformation of psychiatry.The platform offers online CME-approved courses, webinars, and fellowships for professionals about functional and integrative medicine for mental illness.
WATCH ON YOUTUBE: